Africa In Focus

Africa In Focus: "The mainstream thinking now is that Africa is different and we could get it right if we want. The choice is fully ours, and it is now time for us to define what we want."

African Development Bank (AFDB) President, Dr. Donald Kaberuka.

Friday 22 February 2013

Lesson From A Determined Nigeria Business Man - Olufemi Durojaye



Chief Executive Officer of Femmirate Global Ventures Limited, Olufemi Durojaye is a Computer technology graduate from the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria.
His company, Femmirate Global Ventures Limited has various subsidiaries which includes Femmirate Travels; Femmirate Electronics; Femmirate Information Technology Department; Courier Services Department and Femmirate Furniture.
Durojaye recently spoke with Nigeria’s local newspaper, Vanguard on what motivated him to start his business, the challenges and how he has been able to survive in the Nigerian business terrain.

Motivation
Durojaye was motivated to start his own company as a result of his desire to be self-reliant as he had never believed I was going to work for government or go around searching for job.
According to him:
"I realised that in Nigeria today, everybody wants to rely on government to do everything for them. Everybody wants to be a civil servant, nobody wants to be self-reliant, or productive so as to help the economy of the country. They just go about complaining and these complaints have not brought any solution, rather, they have made things worse. I believe so much in myself, my abilities and my goals. I believe that I do not have to depend on government to help me or rely on government to get a job.”
I know the statistics of unemployment in the country. I have an idea about how many students graduate from the universities every year and how many of them are absorbed in the civil service. So I believe in what I can do. I have business ideas, all I had to do was equip myself with the right tools and techniques and here we are."
Challenges

Some of the challenges he faced include unfavourable government policies, lots of other challenges that come up in businesses day in day out.

“This happens in every country but I think the determination of business owners to overcome those challenges is what will make them succeed in business rather than focusing on the challenges,” he said.

Self-Reliance in Language Learning: 5 Lessons from Ralph Waldo Emerson

Survival
"We pay so much attention on keeping our overhead cost very low and this has helped us remain in business,” he said.
Nigerian Education and Self-reliance In Nigeria
Asked if Nigeria's educational system is really tailored towards preparing the youth to be self-reliant, Durojaye said;
"I understand why you are asking the question. I schooled in Nigeria and I am self-reliant, same educational system. I think this has to do with individuals. Of course, I am not denying the fact that there are still a lot of work to be done when it comes to our curriculum and the way we go about teaching. But at the same time, this really has more to do with individuals. The youth have to realise that they are the hope of this nation, they have to realise that it is all about them, not about the government, not about government jobs, they have to take the challenge upon themselves irrespective of all the odds and unpalatable situations."
Advise to the youths

"Do not depend on the government for everything, take a bold step today, start with what you have passion for, in no time you will gain mastery of your chosen vocation. Remember that intelligence is never a substitute for experience."






Personal Lesson learned
The future belongs to those who see possibilities before they become obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your views :-)